While stories of injustices from thousands of miles away hit our headlines, it’s important to remember these are felt closer to home as well. The Union’s core purpose is to represent and support all students, and we’d like to reaffirm our commitment to supporting our black student communities at Imperial.
It is the responsibility of every single one of us to stand against racism and call out social injustice; neutrality is never an option. It’s also our responsibility to check in on friends and lean on each other during these times. Recent news may trigger personal distress related to your own lived/living experiences of racism. We see you and stand with you.
Read the joint statement on tackling racial inequality and injustice by Professor Alice P. Gast (President of Imperial College London) and Abhijay Sood (Union President).
How to help:
A way to become a better ally to the movement is to educate yourself. Please see the reading list and links below:
- New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- We Real Cool: Black Men and Masculinity by Bell Hooks
- No Equal Justice by David Cole
- Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Black & British by David Olosuga
- Superior: The Return of Race Science by Angela Saini
An Essential Anti-Racist Reading List by Hayley Maitland for Vogue.
Being Black in a White World: Understanding Racism in British Universities by Katy Sian for the University of York.
- 101 ways to take care of yourself when the world feels overwhelming
- Self-Care: 12 Ways to Take Better Care of Yourself
- 5 ways to practice self-care when you're feeling overwhelmed